Cold weather is here. One of the best things you can do now is to check your heating system to ensure safe and efficient operation. By testing your heating systems early, you will be prepared for the cold weather. In addition, R Bedal will be able to respond more quickly now if there is a problem. You are advised to first inspect their gas-fired heating systems to ensure the units start and run.
How to check your heating system:
- Verify that the area surrounding the unit is free of combustible items like boxes, paper, clothing, paint, etc.
- Make sure that the flue pipe is connected and in good condition.
- If you have a hot water boiler, verify that the indicator on the pressure gauge falls into the normal range (12-15 psi cold).
- If you have a steam heating system, check the water level in the sight glass. If it is low, turn on the water supply valve to bring the water level up to the half-way mark. Turn off the valve.
- For warm-air furnace systems, check and replace dirty air filters. Verify that the blower door is closed tight and correctly secured.
- Verify that all controls, valves, and electrical switches are in the "On" position.
How to start up your heating system:
- If the unit is equipped with a pilot, confirm that it's lit. If the pilot light is out, follow the instructions on the heating unit to relight it. Let the pilot light burn a few minutes before continuing.
- Many heating units use a form of automatic ignition. Review the starting instructions located on the unit before continuing.
- Set each thermostat mode to "heat" (if equipped) and raise the setting five degrees above room temperature. The heating system should start within a minute or two.
- Let the unit run a few minutes to ensure it's operating normally and then return all controls to their previous settings.
If you're having problems:
- Need help lighting the pilot? R Bedal will perform this service for you.
- Not working properly? R Bedal customers can call 1-630-552-1609 or go to www.rbedal.com to contact us and schedule repair services online for assistance from our qualified service technicians.
We are also is asking customers to keep their homes and yards safe, well lit, and free of clutter so that our workers can safely access the meters and their equipment. Customers are asked to:
- Warn R BEDAL workers of any hazardous conditions on your property, such as loose steps or railings.
- Make sure the path leading to your meters is clear and properly lit – especially stairways.
- Keep dogs and other pets secured away from our workers and service areas.
- Keep the area around your furnace, meter and appliances free and clear of clutter. Trim bushes and shrubs in the vicinity of meters located outdoors.
To ensure proper gas pressures, efficient operation, and safe environment for you and your family it is always recommended to have your system inspected and cleaned by a qualified technician. Check out our maintenance program. |